Wednesday 22 August 2007

Update - Second-class Citizen

After having my right to vote in Australian federal elections revoked, I sent a few emails to the Australian Electoral Commission expressing my disappointment in receiving the cancellation letter and the fact that I would not be able to vote in the upcoming election. The Divisional Returning Officer for my electorate responded to my email, reiterating the legislation but also commenting that he would consider extending my status if I was to apply in writing. Last week, I did just that, and this morning I received an email informing me that my extension has been approved! This means that I will be able to vote in the next federal election, which is expected to take place before the end of the year.

1 comment:

contrarybear said...

Yay! And it reminds me, I have to make sure I can vote in the upcoming U.S. elections. I'm writing in Schwarzeneggar, no matter what the constitution says.

Elton